ELK / DEER
Horsemeat Burger / Feta Cheese
60 mL (1/4 cup) tzatziki
30 mL (2 tablespoons) black olives, pitted and finely chopped (optional)
4 hamburger buns
1 tomato, diced
2 lettuce leaves, shredded
To taste, Salt and pepper
45 mL (3 tablespoons) fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
60 mL (1/4 cup) feta, crumbled
450 g (1 lb) ground horsemeat
- Combine the horsemeat, feta, onion and parsley in a bowl. Season to taste.
- Make four hamburger patties. Barbecue on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 70˚C (160˚F). Turn over half-way through the cooking time.
- While the hamburgers are cooking, toast the buns. Place each ham-burger on a bun. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, tzatziki, and black olives.
Aide-gourmet tip: Trying to increase your iron intake? Horsemeat is a great source! It’s rich in iron and low in fat. In fact, 100 grams of horsemeat fulfills nearly half of your daily iron requirements.
Horse Meat Stroganoff
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced Save $
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2×1/2-inch strips.
- Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender; remove from skillet.
- Cook beef in same skillet until brown. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour; stir into beef mixture. Add onion mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil). Serve over noodles.
Horse Meat & Sweet Potato Pie
5 sweet potatoes, peeled then halved
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
16 button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
500 g ground horsemeat
3/4 cup canned tomatoes (diced)
2 tbsp tomato paste
15drops Tabasco sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup milk, partly skimmed, 2%
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
ground pepper to taste [optional]
1 pinch salt [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
- Prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms; peel the potatoes, cut them in half then boil them 20-25 min until very tender. Drain them well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the meat and sear it until it looses its red colour, about 4-5 min. It is important not to overcook, otherwise the meat becomes too dry.
- When the meat is golden-coloured, add the chopped onion then cook 2 min with stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Tabasco sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and continue cooking until heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to a baking dish.
- Pour the milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked potatoes and mash the mixture until it is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the potato mixture on top of the meat mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
Bake in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 30 min. Serve.
Killer Back-strap Deer
Wild Game Rub
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic powder
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 large onion chopped into small pieces
3 small bell peppers chopped into small pieces (I buy the mini peppers)
1/2 packet of bacon finally chopped
1 bundle spinach chopped
1 block cream cheese
Garlic salt to taste
1) Cut a pocket in your backstrap.
2) Rub your backstrap inside and out with the rub.
3) Put your bacon, onions and mini peppers in a pan and lightly brown.
4) Add your spinach to the onions and peppers and cook until done.
5) Last add your cream cheese creating a nice cream sauce.
6) Stuff your backstrap with the cream cheese sauce.
7) Wrap in bacon.
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes to 35 minutes. Please don’t over cook over it or it will be dry. Slice and serve.