Horsemeat Burger / Feta Cheese
60 mL (1/4 cup) tzatziki
30 mL (2 tablespoons) black olives, pitted and finely chopped (optional)
4 hamburger buns
1 tomato, diced
2 lettuce leaves, shredded
To taste, Salt and pepper
45 mL (3 tablespoons) fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
60 mL (1/4 cup) feta, crumbled
450 g (1 lb) ground horsemeat
- Combine the horsemeat, feta, onion and parsley in a bowl. Season to taste.
- Make four hamburger patties. Barbecue on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 70˚C (160˚F). Turn over half-way through the cooking time.
- While the hamburgers are cooking, toast the buns. Place each ham-burger on a bun. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, tzatziki, and black olives.
Aide-gourmet tip: Trying to increase your iron intake? Horsemeat is a great source! It’s rich in iron and low in fat. In fact, 100 grams of horsemeat fulfills nearly half of your daily iron requirements.
Horse Meat Stroganoff
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced Save $
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2×1/2-inch strips.
- Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender; remove from skillet.
- Cook beef in same skillet until brown. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour; stir into beef mixture. Add onion mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil). Serve over noodles.
Horse Meat & Sweet Potato Pie
5 sweet potatoes, peeled then halved
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
16 button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
500 g ground horsemeat
3/4 cup canned tomatoes (diced)
2 tbsp tomato paste
15drops Tabasco sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup milk, partly skimmed, 2%
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
ground pepper to taste [optional]
1 pinch salt [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
- Prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms; peel the potatoes, cut them in half then boil them 20-25 min until very tender. Drain them well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the meat and sear it until it looses its red colour, about 4-5 min. It is important not to overcook, otherwise the meat becomes too dry.
- When the meat is golden-coloured, add the chopped onion then cook 2 min with stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Tabasco sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and continue cooking until heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to a baking dish.
- Pour the milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked potatoes and mash the mixture until it is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the potato mixture on top of the meat mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
Bake in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 30 min. Serve.